Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Lentil Quinoa Stew

So, I'm sick and trying to think of something that doesn't hurt & is easy, yet comforting. I decided on my way home from work to make this. Start with your basic ingredients, you should have this type of stuff on hand if you have a well stocked pantry. Paula Deen has some good tips on what to have on hand http://www.pauladeen.com/kitchenbasics/article_view/stocking_your_pantry/. Here's my basic ingredients:
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Along with some carrots, celery, one onion, and some garlic. I chopped one whole onion, about 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, about 5-6 celery stalks, and 2 rice bowls full of baby carrots. If you use whole carrots...um maybe 3? I let those a simmer away in a little olive oil over medium low heat.
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Meanwhile in another pot I had the lentils simmering away, I let them cook for about 20 minutes, then added in half a cup of quinoa, and let that simmer for another five minutes with 3 bay leaves. Why a bay leaf? I have no clue, but if you forget it, any chef will yell at you, so just do it. They're inexpensive to have around. Once most of the water is gone add in the beef broth, 2 cans of beef roast, and either 1 can tomato paste or 2 cans tomato sauce. I also added in salt & pepper to taste, about 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning, and one tablespoon of sugar to take some of the acidity out of the tomatoes. I let that simmer for another ten minutes then added in the veggies. I served it with some corn bread on the side. It came out pretty tasty. I'm sick & my brain is a little addled, so I forgot to take a final pic, and when I remembered it was all gone. We had unexpected company (teenagers), and they inhaled it.

No comments:

Post a Comment